Director of Operations and Internal Communications
About the Role
College Forward (CoFo) seeks a dynamic, well-organized, detail-oriented, and deadline-driven leader to successfully oversee organization-wide human resources and daily operations of an innovative, rapidly growing nonprofit organization that helps low-income youth apply to and succeed in college. Ideal candidates will evince a deep passion for solving educational inequities within an entrepreneurial and values-driven nonprofit.
Our amazing team of permanent staff and AmeriCorps members are the lifeblood and “secret sauce” of our mission and vision. As College Forward continues to scale its impact across the U.S., we seek a talented and forward-thinking leader who can build an industry-leading talent pipeline, while ensuring critical day-to-day HR and operational functions remain front and center.
This position requires the ability to lead, plan and oversee human resources and related functions to meet organizational objectives, and the ability to closely monitor progress toward goals and take immediate remedial action when necessary. Working closely with the CoFo leadership team, the Director of Operations and Internal Comms (Ops Director) will play a critical role in our meeting and exceeding our long-term strategic vision.
|Job Title:||Director of Operations and Internal Communications|
|Reports to||Executive Director|
|Starting Salary Range:||$75,000 – $80,000|
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of and communicate organizational policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and best practices; monitor individual and organizational compliance with policies and procedures; work with the executive team to adapt and improve policies and procedures as needed.
- Supervise a team of three individuals on the People Operations team and their accompanying bodies of work: AmeriCorps Manager, DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) Manager, and Operations Manager
- Coordinate crisis communication to the organization and provide administrative, governance, and project support to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and its committees.
- Gather org-wide updates for internal communication and coordinate weekly Executive Director communications.
- Coordinate all site office functions and maintenance needs.
- Lead site-level human resources responsibilities in partnership with the College Possible national People and Culture team to ensure personnel is supported and equipped with the talent and resources required to accomplish organization-wide priorities and objectives.
- Serve as the site lead for recruitment, hiring, training, and deployment of all staff.
- Direct site human resource functions, including processing entrance and exit paperwork, monitoring timesheets, organizing and maintaining up-to-date personnel records and directories, overseeing performance evaluation procedures, developing and maintaining organizational documents, and other human resource functions as needed.
- Address and resolve team member concerns, conflicts, and/or grievances. Provide HR-related coaching to all staff, Directors and/or managers as needed.
- Direct and standardize organization-wide professional development tracks and opportunities for all permanent staff
- Build and sustain a diverse and inclusive workforce across all site teams and the AmeriCorps cohorts
- In support of the Program Director, participate in necessary AmeriCorps grantee trainings and program compliance activities.
- Monitor organizational morale and take measures to evaluate employee engagement and fulfillment of organizational values.
- Ensure the integrity and functionality of office equipment. Arrange maintenance and order supplies as necessary. Maintain confidential computer, phone, and network passwords, and manage software licenses and subscriptions.
- Coordinate all purchasing, receiving, and vendor relations for the site.
- Monitor and maintain annual calendars for progress toward departmental milestones, project implementation, and on-time task completion.
- Develop systems for improved organizational efficiency and sustainability.
- Develop, implement and complete projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Assist with the development of the annual budget and expense management.
- Assist team with information technology, including basic troubleshooting, new computer setup and software installation, and creating organizational documents and forms.
- Represent the organization to school personnel, professional organizations, educators, funders, and the public.
- Assist team members with duties and projects as needed.
- Perform other duties as directed; assist with special projects as assigned
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required; Masters’s degree preferred;
- At least 5 years of human resource management experience, which includes serving as a successful senior leader and creating/enhancing organization culture;
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly preferred.
- Strategic thinker who can communicate and implement the vision/plan for the growth of the local organization;
- Outstanding problem solver with an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Skilled leader with a track record of inspiring and motivating both internal and external stakeholders;
- Superior interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Evidence of excellent collaborative and relationship-building abilities;
- Self-starter with the ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously; must be flexible and adaptable to change
- Comfort with budgets and financial management
What We Offer
As a committed, diverse, values-based organization, we offer:
- Excellent benefits including employer-paid health coverage, long-term disability, and life insurance
- Low-cost options for dental and vision insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Encouraged sustainability through a generous paid time off program
- An opportunity to have a tremendous impact both internally and across the country
College Forward is a dynamic, progressive, and youth-focused working environment. Responsibilities may frequently require an adjusted work schedule, evening/weekend hours, and/or travel in order to meet deadlines or satisfy program requirements.
To Join Our Growing College Forward Team
Please submit a resume at the following link: College Forward Director of Operations and Internal Communications